ThatPainter is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More
The inside of your closet is always a most overlooked space when it comes to interior decoration. Often this space looks very cramped, especially if it is filled with reams of trousers, jumpers, suit pants and shoes.
This is where paintwork can make the world of difference. If you add a nice lick of white or yellow to the inside of your wardrobe, then you can create a massive amount of space.
This is one of the best – and cheapest – ways of transforming these usually dark and cramped spaces.
If you have a very open-plan style of bedroom, then the chances are that your closet space might not have any doors and could be on continual display.
This is another reason that you might want to give those drab spaces a little lick of paint.
But what is the best paint for your closet? What materials and features does your paint need to have to give you that luscious and crack-free coating?
How can you avoid the toxic element from staining your clothes? How much will you have to pay for decent paint for your closet?
Well, if you want some answers to these burning paint questions, then keep reading, as we’ve compiled a list of some of the best paints for closets currently available on the market.
We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you to decide which is the best paint for your particular style of closet.
Our Top Pick
|Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint||
|Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Latex Paint||
|Rust-Oleum Perma-White Mold & Mildew Proof Interior Paint||
|Valspar White Porch and Floor Latex Satin Enamel||
|KILZ Adhesion High-Bonding Interior Latex Primer/Sealer||
List Of Best Paints For Closets
5 Best Paints For Closets
Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint
Our first brand of paint has a very low odor emission, so you won’t have to worry about your bedroom closet stinking for days on end after you’ve finished. This paint is one of the cleanest that we’ve seen, giving you slick and simple strokes.
This is great for removing the amount of paint you might get on your clothes – introducing Rust-Oleum Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint.
This paint is great if you need to cover up a larger area of wall in your closet. If you have multiple closets that need painting, then you can cover all of it in just a few simple swipes.
This can mask blemishes very easily and will work on various types of surfaces including brick and wood.
This adheres well to all styles of surface and will be dry within the hour. This is perfect if you don’t want your clothes piled on the bed for too long.
You can even use this to cover your chest of drawers and bedside table, perfect if you want consistent decor for your bedroom area.
- This is ideal for larger paint jobs – if you have plenty of closets that you need to cover, then we would certainly recommend that you get this pot of paint.
- This adheres very well to different surfaces, whether it is brick or wood, you can be sure of a quick-drying and consistent dry texture.
- This has a very low VOC, which means that it will emit a low level of odor, making it very easy to work with in the long term.
- You can use this paint of distressed wood to give your closets that amazing vintage look – this is great for use on seaside properties where a distressed look is coveted.
- This paint comes very highly rated on Amazon, with literally thousands of users attesting to its reliability and solid consistency.
- Some users have complained that this leaves a very chalky textured coat after you’ve used it. It also might require more than one coat for that extra thickness.
Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Latex Paint
This next paint gives you great coverage over large surfaces. You will rarely have to use more than one or two coats of paint on your closet area.
Usually, closets are very small, so you can use one single pot of paint to cover multiple closets – introducing the Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Latex Paint.
This paint is great for creating a very airy and spacious feel to your smaller apartment or bedroom.
If you pick the white color, then you can be sure that your bedroom or living room will be given that amazing bright feeling. What you can’t do with furniture or massive renovation you can achieve with a few licks of paint.
This leaves a glossy finish, whether it is used on wood, brick or plastic surfaces. It has a very low odor emission, so you won’t have to worry about it polluting your bedroom for days on end.
This has a latex base, so it will be very resistant to chips, which is a relief if you have pets or children.
- One quart of this paint will cover a large surface area, so you won’t have to worry about having to go to the hardware store to pick up some more halfway through an intense paint job.
- This won’t chip due to its latex properties – when it comes to having a paint job that will stand the test of time, then we would highly recommend this paint.
- This paint will be able to cover a few closets with one single tin, ultimately saving you money on having to buy any more cans.
- This paint can be used on many different surfaces, whether it is brick or wood, you can be sure of a nice, even and glossy finish.
- This will give your small apartment that airy and spacious feeling, which is great for someone who wants to improve their mood without splashing out on major renovations.
- This paint recommends that you sand the surfaces before you apply the paint. This will be very tiresome for someone who wants the job done quickly.
Rust-Oleum Perma-White Mold & Mildew Proof Interior Paint
This next tin of paint, as you can probably tell from the title, is great for keeping the mold and mildew out of your bedroom. This has a great satin finish that is resistant to stains and heavy scrubbing.
This is a tin of paint that will cover a wide area and really last you for a long time – introducing the Rust-Oleum Perma-White Mold & Mildew Proof Interior Paint.
This paint is resistant to dirt as well as scratches and scuff marks. It is also mildew-proof, so if you know that your surface is particularly susceptible to this kind of rot, then using this paint will be perfect for preventing those unsightly green patches from showing through.
This stuff is self-priming, so you won’t have to worry about having to put on a separate primer first. You can use this paint on most surfaces, including brick and wood.
This will easily cover most scratches and damages, giving you a nice and smooth finish. Add to that the 5-year warranty and you’ve got a great product!
- The mold and mildew resistance – this is great if you want to renovate that old bathroom or bedroom and avoid green patches showing through in the future.
- But that’s not all it’s resistant to – you can scratch, scuff and stain this paint and not have to worry about it damaging the look that you’ve painstakingly crafted.
- This has a wonderfully glossy finish, which will certainly revive the worn-out look of your old cupboards.
- This comes with a 5-year warranty, which gives you that extra security if this paint job does not quite work out in the way you’d imagined.
- The price – this is a very reasonably priced tin of paint that will cover quite a bit of surface area. This is ideal if you want to save money but still want that professional finish.
- This applies very thin and might not cover the whole area in one go. You might have to buy two paint tins to give you that complete and even coating.
Valspar White Porch and Floor Latex Satin Enamel
This next paint tin, as stated on the label, is made to be used on your porch and floor, with a latex constitution that will reduce the number of chips and scuffs that you might get from clothes hangers or the roving paws of your cat.
You can certainly brighten up the bedroom with a few licks of this paint – introducing the Valspar White Porch and Floor Latex Satin Enamel.
This comes in a neat and compact paint pot that will not take up too much storage space when you’re not using it. This is ideal for use on wood, although it can also be applied to brick and concrete.
You might have to sand your wood down before you apply this paint, but once done, it will leave you with a very slick and even coating.
Most users have reported that this paint is very easy to use, with very little stringy paint, so you won’t have to worry about getting paint on the surfaces that you don’t want to be painted. This leaves you with a great satin finish that will brighten up any porch or outside flooring area.
- This is great for general use in your home improvement scenario, giving you everything that you need to make your porch go from looking shabby to brand new.
- This paint is one of the cleanest that you can get, with very few strings that won’t get anything in the surrounding area of your painted target that is wet.
- The price – this is a very cheap pot of paint. You might not get a great amount for your money, but it will certainly not cost you that much to buy two tins to cover your desired area.
- This will cover most types of surfaces, including wood, concrete and plastic. You won’t have to worry about the paint flaking, even in dry weather.
- This paint has a very low odor output, which means that you should be able to habit your bedroom again as soon as the paint is dry.
- This paint has a very low volume, so you might have to buy a few cans if you want to get that extra-thick coverage.
KILZ Adhesion High-Bonding Interior Latex Primer/Sealer
This final paint for closets has a very high rating on Amazon, with thousands of users commenting on its high quality, as well as its ease of use and good consistency.
This paint will bond to many different surfaces, including wood, vinyl, plastic, concrete and plenty of uneven terrains – introducing the KILZ Adhesion High-Bonding Interior Latex Primer/Sealer.
This paint is completely dry within 30 minutes of application, which is great if you are painting metal and wooden surfaces on the inside of your cupboard.
This contains elements that will make sure that your surface is completely protected from scratches and marks. This quick-dry paint will be easy to use and store.
This paint will keep your surface free from dust, chips and various stains. You can use it well on most interiors, including wood, which is what most cabinets are made from. This comes in a one-gallon can that will easily cover the inside of a few cabinets closets, let alone just one.
- This can resistant most elements that often afflict a painted surface – stains, chips and scuff marks are a thing of the past once you have applied a nice thick coat of this paint.
- This paint is also a primer, so it will only require one coat. It has plenty of thickness to it, so you won’t have to apply it more than once.
- This primer will bond to more or less any surface, even untreated concrete and wood will be covered nicely with this. You can be certain that it will cover up any holes and creases in any old surfaces.
- You’ll get a nice and glossy finish with this primer, it will give your closet or even your chest of drawers that bright and airy finish. This is perfect for creating more space in a smaller and more cramped environment.
- You can apply this paint with a roller or brush, although we would recommend a roller for that extra level of evenness.
- This paint is one of the more expensive options on this list, which certainly won’t appeal to anyone who is on a budget.
You might think that you need only one type of paint for your closet, well, that’s where you’d be wrong.
There are multiple different types of paint that you can use in your closet, each one giving you a unique finish.
Here are some of the things that you’ll need to consider before you buy the next tin of paint for your closet:
What Kind Of Paint Will You Need?
There are many different types of paint for your closet, some with high gloss finishes, others that will protect your closet from cuffs and scrapes. Here is a brief list of some of the paints that you can find on the market:
- Flat Paint – this type of paint will not be very reflective, giving you a decent and bright look without seeming too shiny. You can usually get these paints in a white or neutral look.
- Semi-Gloss Paints – This is great for homeowners, as it tends to reflect the light somewhat, making the home or bedroom look much more spacious. Semi-gloss will certainly increase the amount of light in the room.
- Satin Finish Paint – these paints are great for the living room or bedroom of the house, as they give a very luxurious finish.
- High-Gloss paint – this will give you the shiniest finish, with a high gloss that will increase the amount of light in the room, coming in white or very natural colors.
How Much Will The Paint Show?
The light in your room can change how our eyes perceive the whole space. For example, if you paint your closet interiors white, then the room will seem a lot bigger because of the increase of light and the diminishing of shadows.
If you paint the interior of your closet a lighter color and the rest of the room pale blue or grey, then you can be certain that it will have much more of a dynamic feel, the contrast between light and shade being a lot more heightened.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Is The Best Color Paint For My Closet?
As mentioned above, if you choose a glossy style of paint, then you can be sure that there’ll be a lot more light in the room and, as a result, everything will look a whole lot bigger.
If you choose a light color like blue, then the sense of space might not be as great, but it will give the room a more relaxed feel.
If you want your visitor’s eyes to be drawn straight to your closet, then we would recommend that you choose a more vibrant color.
If the inside of your closest is a yellow or orange color, then you can be sure that all eyes will be drawn to it.
We hope that our list of closet paints will help you to select the best product to coat the interior of your clothing area and transform your bedroom into a place where you will want to spend a lot more time!