Whether you’ve got meters of fence panels to cover or just a small outside space, there’s no getting around the fact that staining a fence is a painstaking, labor-intensive job.
Not only does it take a long time, but trying to get a perfectly even coating across each panel is almost impossible when you’re only using a paintbrush.
It also takes a longer time to dry and, factor in the unpredictability of the weather, a sudden downpour of rain can undo hours of hard work in minutes.
There is a simple solution to these problems though, and it comes in the form of a pump sprayer.
Simply fill the reservoir with your chosen wood stain or paint, aim the nozzle at the fence, and you’ll get perfectly even coverage in record time. And, unlike electric sprayers, you aren’t restricted by cables, so you can move freely across a larger space.
However, with so many options to choose from, finding the right one can be a bit of a confusing task. So, to make things easier, we’ve done the hard work for you!
Below, you’ll find our pick of the 4 best pump sprayers for staining fences. We’ve also included a handy buyer’s guide that is packed with information on what to keep in mind before settling on your final decision.
Best Budget Pump Sprayer
|Chapin International 2-Gallon Plastic Sprayer||
Best Multi-Purpose Pump Sprayer
|Smith 2-Gallon Performance Sprayer||
Best Pump Sprayer for Fences & Decks
|Chapin International Steel Deck Sprayer||
Best Pump Sprayer for Concrete
|Chapin Industrial Sprayer for Concrete||
4 Best Pump Sprayers for Staining Fences
Chapin International 2-Gallon Plastic Sprayer
Boasting a 2-gallon reservoir, this Plastic Sprayer from Chapin International gives you the ability to cover a huge area of fencing without having to stop and refill too regularly. Its plastic construction also makes it fairly lightweight, so it’s easier to maneuver around your garden.
The ergonomic handle makes it comfortable to operate and carry, while the innovatively-designed wide funnel top makes it easier to pour in your wood stain without creating too much wastage.
It has a 12-inch wand and a 28-inch reinforced hose which allows you to keep a distance from the fencing while you spray. This reduces the risk of getting any wood stain or paint on your clothing, keeping you clean and tidy while you work.
This pump sprayer also features an anti-clog filter, so you’ll get a constant flow of wood stain at all times. This also makes it easier to clean the sprayer once you’ve finished spraying.
The nozzle can also be adjusted to create different depths of coverage, which is ideal if you’re staining your fence from scratch and for giving it an annual touch-up.
- 2-gallon tank – takes away the need to stop and refill the sprayer too regularly
- Plastic construction & ergonomic design – makes it easier to comfortably operate and maneuver around your garden
- Wide funnel-top – allows you to add your wood stain with minimal wastage
- Extra-long hose and anti-clog nozzle – ideal for keeping your distance from the fencing while you spray, and ensure a constant flow of wood stain throughout
- Adjustable nozzle – coverage depth can be adjusted to give a thicker coating or a thinner coating as required
- Inflexible hose – some people found that the hose wasn’t as flexible as they’d have liked, which made it a little harder to reach into oddly shaped areas
Smith 2-Gallon Performance Sprayer
The Smith 2-Gallon Performance Sprayer is made from professional-grade material that isn’t only capable of keeping wood stain and paint secure but can also safely contain cleaning chemicals. This makes it a great choice for anybody looking for a multipurpose sprayer that can be used to clean a fence before staining it.
It has a 2-gallon tank so there’s no need to keep stopping and refilling the sprayer, which is ideal when you’re working across a larger area. It also features a 21-inch stainless steel wand with poly lining and Viton seals that can resist corrosion from certain chemicals.
This pump sprayer has been designed with ease-of-use in mind too, and it requires 25% fewer pumps per gallon than most other sprayers. This also gives you the ability to work faster, and there is even a ‘lock-on’ feature that helps to reduce hand fatigue.
You’re also given the choice of three interchangeable nozzles to choose from with this pump sprayer, so you can create the perfect level of coverage for the task at hand. These include an adjustable nozzle, a high-volume fan nozzle, and a low-volume fan nozzle.
- Multi-purpose use – The professional-grade materials can safely contain wood stain, paint, and cleaning chemicals. This makes it perfect for carrying out a range of jobs.
- 2-gallon tank – takes away the need to stop and refill too regularly
- 21-inch stainless steel wand – highly durable and built with poly lining seals that can withstand chemical corrosion
- Easy to use – requires 25% fewer pumps than a standard sprayer and has a lock-on feature that reduces hand fatigue
- Includes a range of nozzles – allows you to switch between an adjustable nozzle, a high-volume fan nozzle, and a low-volume fan nozzle.
- Heavy – the professional-grade materials used to construct this pump sprayer make it slightly heavier than most other plastic sprayers
Chapin International Steel Deck Sprayer
If you’ve got fencing and decking in your garden, then you’ll more than likely be aware that you’ve got double the amount of staining to do!
However, with the Chapin International Steel Deck Sprayer, you can cut this time in half. It’s also strong enough to safely contain deck cleaner, so it can be used to clean your deck thoroughly before staining.
The 2-gallon tank gives you the ability to add a large quantity of wood stain at once, so there’s less need to refill as regularly. It also features a 4-inch wide funnel mouth that makes it easier to pour your wood stain in without creating any spillages.
The wand has also been designed with a slight curve, which makes it easier to reach awkward angles. Meanwhile, the poly-ergonomic handle ensures that you’re as comfortable as possible while you work.
You can choose between three of the included spray nozzles to get the perfect level of coverage, too. These include fine, medium, and coarse spray patterns.
Each nozzle can be stored on the easy-access holder that is located on the hose, so switching between them can be done quickly and conveniently.
- Can be used on fencing and decking – ideal if you’ve got lots of wood to stain, and can also safely contain deck cleaner
- 2-gallon tank with 4-inch wide funnel – allows you to fill up with minimal spillage and carry on spraying without having to pause as often to refill
- 12-inch wand and 60-inch reinforced hose – keeps you at a safe distance from the wood stain or deck cleaner while your work
- Curved wand – makes it easier to get into awkward areas
- Three nozzle attachments – choose between fine, medium, and coarse spray patterns to get the perfect level of coverage
- Heavy – this pump sprayer is constructed from metal, so it is heavier to maneuver than its plastic counterparts
Chapin Industrial Sprayer for Concrete
Not every garden is surrounded by wooden fencing. Some have concrete or brick walls which, rather than staining, need to be cleaned and painted to maintain them.
The Chapin Industrial Sprayer for Concrete is the perfect tool for this job. This is because it features Viton seals and gaskets that can withstand the corrosive effects of certain cleaning chemicals and concrete paints.
Of course, it’s perfectly suitable for use on wooden fence panels too, and the extra-large 3.5-gallon Tri-Poxy tank makes it perfect for particularly large spaces. It also has a 4-inch wide mouth opening that reduces the risk of spillage and wastage when you’re filling the sprayer. Meanwhile, the Tri-Lock Seal makes sure that nothing leaks from the sprayer while you work.
The brass wand and spray nozzle are among the most durable you’ll find in a pump sprayer, and you’ve got a choice of two fan spray tips so you can get the perfect level of coverage.
When you’ve finished spraying you can slide the wand into the holster that is attached to the side of the tank, keeping it secured and making it easier to store the pump spray away compactly.
- Can be used on concrete – perfect for gardens and outdoor spaces with concrete or brick walls
- Super-secure – features Viton seals and gaskets, and a Tri-Lock seal that keeps any wood stain, paint, or cleaning chemicals securely contained
- 3.5-gallon tank – larger capacity than most other pump sprayers
- Brass wand & nozzle – extremely durable and easy to store in the built-in wand holster
- Two nozzle attachments – choose between two fan spray tips for the ideal level of coverage
- Expensive – while incredibly durable, this pump sprayer is more expensive than most, so it’s not a good choice for anybody on a budget
When it comes to finding the best pump sprayer for your fencing, there is a little more to keep in mind than you might expect.
Below, we’ll look at some of the key points to consider when you begin your search. Paying attention to each of these will help steer you in the right direction and help you make the right choice the first time around.
One of the most important things that you need to consider is what material your fencing is made from. In most cases this will be some sort of wood, however, some outdoor spaces are surrounded by concrete or brick walls. You may also have decking that you need to stain along with your fence.
With this in mind, it’s a good idea to look for a pump sprayer that can be used on everything you need it for. If you’ve got wooden fences and decking, choose a pump sprayer that can be used to stain both.
Likewise, if your garden is surrounded by concrete walls, look for a pump sprayer that can be used on concrete.
You can also use a pump sprayer to clean fences, decking, and concrete walls before staining or painting. If you’d like to do this, you’ll need to look for a pump sprayer that is made from a material that can safely contain chemical cleaners.
Professional-grade plastics and metals are the best choices here, as they’ll be much less likely to suffer from chemical corrosion over time. Some even have special Viton seals and gaskets that are designed to withstand chemical use without getting damaged.
The material that your pump sprayer is made from also needs to be considered in terms of its weight. Since you’ll be carrying the sprayer around, it will need to be lightweight enough to manage comfortably. Plastic is the best material for this, as it’s much lighter than metal.
The more wood stain, paint, or cleaning chemicals that a pump sprayer can hold, the less you’ll need to stop and refill it. This means that you’ll be able to get the job done in a much faster time, especially if you’re working across a smaller area.
Look for a pump sprayer that has a tank size of 2.5 gallons – 3-gallons. This will allow you to carry on spraying without having to pause.
It’s also a good idea to look at what safety features the pump sprayer offers to keep the wood stain securely contained. Some have specially designed locks that seal the lid of the tank in place and prevent anything from spilling.
Others have valves that release the pressure built up in the tank and prevent you from getting sprayed when you take the lid off to empty the tank.
Wand & Nozzles
Let’s take a look at the wand of your pump sprayer, first of all. This is the part that you’ll hold and aim at your fence. Ideally, you want it to be a good length as you’ll need to keep the end of it as far away from you as possible, otherwise, you could end up getting covered in wood stain.
There are several different materials to look for in a pump sprayer’s wand, but metals (such as brass and stainless steel) are the most durable. This is because they’ll be harder to accidentally break, and they’ll be more resistant to chemical corrosion.
Now, let’s look at the nozzle on your pump sprayer. Most will come with a variety of different nozzle attachments, and this gives you the ability to create the perfect level of coverage.
So, if you’re staining a fence for the first time, you can choose a nozzle with a wider, coarser spray pattern. Or, if you’re giving your fence its annual touch-up, you can choose a nozzle that gives a finer spray.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do pump sprayers work?
Pumps sprayers work by manually building up pressure within a tank and using that pressure to distribute a spray of wood stain, paint, or cleaning chemicals through the nozzle.
Since they don’t require any electricity to work, they are a good choice for staining fences and working in large outdoor areas.
What is the best pump sprayer for staining a fence?
The best pump sprayer for staining a fence should have a large-sized tank, durable hose and nozzle, and be able to safely contain your wood stain.
Chapin pump sprayers are among the best pump sprayers available, but there are some other fantastic brands too. Check out our list of the best pump sprayers for staining fences above to learn more.